Friday, July 9, 2010

Quick Veggie Dinner



I've been slacking on the veggies lately so I went grocery shopping and stocked up on some stables to make some serious recipes this weekend. One thing I have learned about myself is that if I dont have stuff pre-made in the refrig ready to I resort to some not so healthy vegan fare. So tonight I made fajitas b/c they are super easy to re-heat and eat again! In less then a half hour I probably made what will last me 4 meals. Just keep the veggie mix in the refrigerator and keep tortillas on hand. I used guacamole on mine which I highly recommend. Unfortunetly that gets yucky brown when its not fresh but I have a great dry mix that combined with 1 avacado makes super FAST and yummy guac so making it right before I eat is no biggie.

Heres the recipe!

In a large bowl still together juice from 2 limes, 1/4 cup olive oil, and fajita seasoning (or make your own by combining oregano, cumin, chilli powder, and cilantro) Also toss in some salt and pepper to taste.

Cut up 3 bell peppers into strips (I used one red, one green, and one yellow for some color!)
Cut 1 red onion into wedges
Halve 2 yellow or zucchini squash and cut into strips
Cut 4 garlic cloves in half length wise

Combine veggies with oil mixture

At this point you can either grill or roast. I didnt have access to a grill so I roasted mine in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes. Tortillas can be grilled or wrapped in paper towel and microwaved for 20 seconds.

Fajitas are a great meal to serve b/c if you have non vegans present they can add chicken, steak, etc. to theirs while you keep your just veggie. You could also add vegan sour cream, salsa, or guac like I did :) The possibilites are endless.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds ridiculously delicious. I'm trying this next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were really good! Also I know you do LC and I used low carb tortillas- I think after minusing the dietary fiber they only had 2-3 carbs each :) A lot of vegan foods are higher in carbs so its nice when I can find a lower carb option!

    ReplyDelete