Sunday, July 11, 2010

Vegan "Crab" Cakes




Unfortunately I cant say they taste like traditional crab cakes b/c I have never had one before! The reason for me deciding to make this recipe was because its made mostly out of zucchini and I'm trying to get more veggies in. HOWEVER, you do use seasonings that are found on traditional crab cakes and the author of the recipe says it tastes just like them. Either way- I found them yummy!

Side Note: I think I inhaled seasoning somehow because my nose is burning inside and all I smell is spice. Try not to inhale your ingredients ;p

Onto the recipe!......

Begin by grating 2 and 1/2 cups of peeled zucchini
Next lay out on a kitchen towel and roll up like a jelly roll- ring out moisture.
(You may need to do this twice)



In a large bowl combine zucchini with 2 tbs of earth balance butter (non dairy) and one cup of bread crumbs. ( I like the whole foods brand b/c it lists simply bread on its ingredients list. You may be surprised what other crap is added in other brands. Also panko bread crumbs usually have eggs so be sure to check the label.) Add 1/4 cup of minced onion to the mix.

Season the mix by adding 1 tbs of old bay seasoning or if you don't have that on hand (I didn't!) add in a little bit of each of the following: celery salt, mustard seed, bay leaf, black and red pepper, cinnamon and ginger)

Form mixture into 8 patties (mine only made 6 for some reason- too big maybe)
Coat frying ban with safflower oil (or canola if you don't have safflower) Coat patty in a little bit of white flower (a 1/4 cup or less should be enough for all 8) Fry patties until they are golden brown on both sides.

TA DA!

Pretty simple minus the wringing out of the zucchini shreds. These can be reheated in a toaster oven or skillet. They are also only about 100 calories each and 3 grams of protein! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment